The Jacqueline Boles Teaching Fellowship
The Jacqueline Boles Teaching Fellowship in Sociology was established in 2000 to honor Dr. Boles on the occasion of her retirement. This award marks the Department’s appreciation for Dr. Boles’ distinguished academic career and her genuine love of teaching. Dr. Boles was a dedicated and devoted teacher who maintained strong ties with her students. The Department presents this foundation scholarship to an outstanding graduate student instructor teaching in the Department of Sociology.
Awardees receive $500
To apply for this award, students should submit electronic portfolios with:
- List of all teaching-related activities, awards, etc. (from your vita).
- Teaching Philosophy (a document that outlines teaching philosophy and the ways it is implemented)
- Student evaluations from all courses taught at Georgia State (both quantitative and qualitative portions—full format, not a summary table)
- Syllabi from courses taught at Georgia State
- iPort data on your grade distributions for all courses taught at Georgia State
- Sampling/highlighting of materials used from one class that the student has taught at Georgia State with an annotated list of contents
Applications are due on Wednesday, February 16, 2022, by 5:00 p.m.
Submit portfolios electronically to Chantel DeLions by email: email@example.com
Teaching Associate Awards
A Teaching Associate is an experienced GTA III, chosen by the Department’s Teaching Committee, who serves as a mentor for other teaching assistants in the Department. Teaching Associates develop and run programs that support and enhance the Department’s graduate teaching training program. Teaching Associates are integral in the two-course teacher training sequence in the department. They attend and assist with SOCI 9000 (Teaching Sociology). In SOCI 9001 they videotape and provide critical feedback to their graduate student colleagues. They offer general teaching support as well. Associates serve for one year (Spring, Fall, Summer) with the right to reapply to continue participation at the end of their tenure. The fellowship is advertised annually on the Graduate Student List-serv. Applications for this position are usually due in Spring.